Sunday, April 28, 2013

The travel warrior

As a Solo Traveler
there is always lots of work to do for a trip. 
when you do not share the project with a travel partner, you do EVERYTHING
When I decided to do a LONG solo trip I knew there would be lots of details but I did not expect a travel agent I have already worked with to tell me,  “look for the sailing you want on our web site (cruise to other people) and I will book it for you.”

As a former commission sales person I would have loved anyone to walk in and tell me to write them an offer on a property they has already selected.  Yes that did happen on occasion but they always wanted it done for FREE.

So after 2+ weeks, a visa hassle that changed my direction and over 200+ hours of searching, I GAVE UP.   I am still taking the trip but will be paying more than I had budgeted for this story.   So I shall amend the story and leave on  the adventure:  21 days at sea, solo and loving it.

With determination in the past two days I booked a 21 day sail, convinced Virgin Atlantic to reinstate my ticket suspended during the hurricane in Oct 2012 (for a reasonable fee), booked connecting flights to catch the transatlantic flight (cost almost as much as the trip to London), booked hotels, booked a stay overnight at Canterbury Cathedrals' guest house and am now searching for 'unusual places to visit'.

Too much work.... but no alternative.   I have 5 trip themes to write about while floating along so I hope you will stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment